Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Happy Birthday?

 Well I knew back in March that I wanted to make my mother and mother-in-law some aprons for their Mother's Day gifts this year.  I'm always torn on whether or not to "make" gifts because I usually only make bags and dresses, so craft projects are a bit scary.  But when I was in Hobby Lobby I walked by some super-cute fabric that screamed "make me into an apron", so I picked it up and proceeded to find the easiest apron pattern I could find.  You see, my mother and mother-in-law are NOT into "frills", so I had to find something that went totally against all the cutesy little ruffly apron patterns that are currently available and trying to turn us all back into June Cleaver.  Well I found something from Simplicity's Sewing for Dummies collection (don't judge).



I spent 2 evenings finishing these and deliberating with my daughter on whether to put their grandmother names (which we obviously decided to) or their initials.  So when they were finished I packaged them up neatly and put their cards together, etc, etc.  Well my mother calls me on Mother's Day after opening her new apron and proceeds to tell me how much she loves it and it's exactly what she would have chosen, but she then told me that I signed her Mother's Day card with "Happy Birthday".  Oh well, maybe I can call this her card for the year, LOL!  I guess next time I put this much effort into a gift I'll check the details too, haha!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

these are adorable... and they definitely needed "Mimi" and "Nanny" on them! And "happy birthday"?? That totally sounds like something I would do.

Milkshake Baby said...

Thanks Jennifer! My little 5 year old has very good taste, I find if I listen to her things usually turn out very well.